mercoledì 16 marzo 2011

US alarm over Japan atomic crisis - Latest News -

(click to enlarge image)

Nick Bikkal from Tokyo writes:
"I live within Tokyo city limits.
I keep reading of radiation coming into the city from the plant 200 km north of us. Technically NE of the city.
Embassies are urging their citizens to leave the city and country.
How can radioactivity head our way when for the last few days all the weather reports have said the wind keeps blowing from the west or NW?
The official weather reports back up my statement. Either I'm still underinformed or am being misinformed. Family and friends abroad are in a panic over me and my family but I say there is an attempt to confuse and create panic.
It's a media tactic to keep people glued to them. I see little support given to those working hard to help, clean up&rescue. Instead of running away people should give what they can to those in need."

There is some anxiety at US military bases in Japan about exposure to radiation, Reuters reports. On a Facebook page for US Naval Forces Japan, some Americans voiced concern. One living in Atsugi, Japan, where radiation was detected at a naval base, asked about a potential evacuation. "Having a toddler and being pregnant, I need to know if they can get us going," wrote 21-year-old Chelsea Origer.

Many airlines have suspended flights to Japan while at Tokyo's Haneda airport there are large crowds trying to get out of the capital. One man at the airport told BBC World Service: "My children are small and have their life ahead of them and I don't want them to be contaminated by the nuclear fallout."

Germany has advised citizens in Japan to consider leaving Tokyo joining a growing number of governments and businesses telling their people it may be safer elsewhere.

The Governor of the Fukushima region has criticised the official handling of the evacuation. Yuhei Sato said the people of Fukushima had reached the limits of "fear and anxiety". He said that if an evacuation was necessary, it would be difficult. "How do we move people, transport people?" he said. He said they had secured the "minimum food" but that daily supplies are all in shortage.

Stuart Blackburn from Osaka writes:
"Today, I and other Britons were contacted by the foreign office, and asked to refer to a report from the government's Chief Science Officer for advice. His conclusion was plain; even if the reactors meltdown, we would be in no danger. There is no reason to leave. For me, this was the clear, expert opinion I had been waiting for. I shall not leave Japan. I began to spread the word to friends.
Until, that is, I read an article from the New York Times.
The reactor blasts have exposed storage pools of spent fuel to the outside.
With the cooling systems down, the water covering the fuel is boiling away, and engineers are unable to conduct repairs.
Should the water evaporate away, the spent rods could ignite, sending huge volumes of radioisotopes into the air. 100 rapid deaths within 500 miles.
Over 100,000 deaths over time. Of course, this is a worse-case scenario. But the once quenched debate is re-ignited. Should we stay? For now, we can only wait, and talk."

BBC News in real time